Monday, December 14, 2015

Faith

Hola familia!!

So this week has been better.  I felt your prayers and support and
love and it lifted me.  Things are getting better.  Hermana Alailima
has officially finished her training.  It’s pretty sad but we are
both staying here for changes  J  I am pretty pumped because we are
going to have lots of success for this change.  This hard but its so
worth it J

I received another package this week! It was amazing!  I loved all the
Christmas cards and especially the conference talks!!! Yes I had been
dying to receive them.  Anyways thanks for all the love!  I really
adore you guys.

Oh my bleeding foot.  Stepped on a staple.  It didn´t hurt at all but
when I pulled it out it was like a dam broke.  Hahah we just had to
take a picture.  And the turtle.  Yes there was a turtle inside of
there.  He was pretty grumpy and didn´t want to come out.  Just so you
know turtles weigh a lot more than you think!  They also do move
really slowly!  And mom yes there are Christmas trees in Puerto.  More
than in Abancay so its good J

Um so for the funny stories this week.  You  may have to edit this
part out.  Lately I have been having some problems in the shower.  One
night I was showering just normal like and all of the sudden the
lights just went out.  It was pitch black and I couldn´t see my hand.
I waited awhile but my eyes still weren´t adjusting.  I could hear
Hermana Alailima in the other shower.  I think she turned off her
shower and got out.  She grabbed the flashlight and came and found me
in the other room.  I got out , wrapped a towel around me and we
searched for matches to light the candles that we had bought.  Then
after we lit the candles we went back to our showers and had a candle
lit shower.  It was pretty great.  Haha sometimes the lights just go
out for no reason here.  Its especially awful when the fan shuts off L
 and another shower story. Oh man I don´t know what’s been up lately but its like a mini
adventure.

Oh this week we found a pension!!! For dinner. Her name is Gloria and
she is the best!  I love love love being in her house more.  She is
less active but has been to the temple!  She is just the greatest and
its just great to now have all three meals now. J

This week we were at a members house
waiting for her so that she could come to an appointment with us.
While we were waiting I guess I walked to close to a monkey and it
jumped out and just clung to my leg!!  It would not let go!  And when
I tried to pull it off it tried to bite my leg and I definitely do not
want to get rabies shot sooo it just clung on my leg.  I was so
scared!!! Even though it was a smaller monkey it was still scary.
Slowly we coaxed it onto my arm and then with a little better angle I
pealed it off of me real fast and ran away.  And so I successfully
escaped from a monkey and avoided the rabies shot.

This week has been hard as well but its better now.   We had a really
slow week and our numbers were super low.  In church this week there
was not one single investigator when it started.  I felt really bumed
but I also accepted it because I believed that really no one would
show up.   Shamefully I didn´t really have an ounce of faith that
anyway would show up.  Well after sacrament Hermana Alailima looked
around and she saw an investigator named Lucy.  It was her first time
coming to church and she had brought her little boy.  She whispered it
to me and It just made me cry.   I didn´t have any faith that anyone
showed up.  I think the Lord taught me a lesson that It really is His
work.  I am just His hands here in Puerto.  It taught me that I should
never lose the faith.   Faith is so vital and so important.   It
really is an anchor for our souls.   As I sat there I heard the words
in my head “I love you, keep going”  I know that it was the Lord and I
know that even though there are times where I forget it, I know he
loves me and I know he loves us.  He is so aware of every one of our
needs.   Its so amazing.

This week I also read in Ether about faith and weakness.  I was
reading in the famous verse in ether 12 27 and asked myself what
weakness has to do with the gospel of jesus Christ.  I learned that
without our weakness of our natural man we would not need the gospel
or His doctrine.  His doctrine his designed to show us that we are
weak, but it is also designed to show us that we can make weak things
strong.  Never in my life have I seen my weakness so blunt and so laid
out in front of me, than in my mission.  But never before in my life
have I applied the doctrine like I am doing out here.  It helps me see
my weakness, but the doctrine gives me the tools I need to make the
weak thing (me) strong.   I love the doctrine because it allows us to
progress.   I am so grateful that because the Savior lives we can
become better.  There is hope for everyone and this is why I love
being a missionary J

Love you all,


Hermana Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment