Monday, December 7, 2015

Update

Well I am not going to lie and say this was the best week ever.  I
really don´t have a ton to say.  It’s been a super hard week in terms
of the work.  Hermana Alailima is great though and we just keep going.
I decided because I am usually very scattered in my email that I will
just say one funny thing and one spiritual thing. :) that way they
won´t be so long!
   This Sunday we had a terrible lightning and thunderstorm during
church.  It was so loud that it was hard to hear the 80 year old
sunday school teacher and then when the lights went out it was hard to
hear over the squeals of all the little children.  haha. But the
thunder did keep all the sleepers awake so I guess that was a
brightside.  Anyway I was seated next to our pension, Hermana Eusebia
and next to me was a new investigator.  I was trying to help him by
following the scriptures that the teacher wrote on the board, but after
a couple of minutes Tomas the investigator told me that he couldn´t
read or hear.  So then I stopped trying to help him and he just sat
there. I didn´t get a chance to talk to him after priesthood so
hopefully he had a better experience there.  Or at least learned
something.  Anyways next to me was Hermana Eusebia.  She is very
faithful and loves the gospel.  She had the lesson manual with her and
was reading and highlighting the scriptures as she basically taught
herself.  I was asked a question by this 80 year old teacher and you
can imagine that besides the thunderstorm, the age factor and language
factor made it a little hard for me to understand  I think I rambled
off something about God´s love because after all he had written "God
is love" on the whiteboard and after I was done speaking I turned to
Eusebia and told her that I didn´t understand the question very well.
She whispered back that the question was in fact not understandable
and that she didn´t really understand anything he was saying.  So she
then proceeded to teach me the lesson with the manual.  It was pretty
funny.  We would read the scriptures alone and then she would
highlight it and point to a question that the manual asks.  I could
just picture her answering in her head.  It was pretty great.  ahh
Peruvian Sunday school class.
      This week we visited a less active member who is having a really
hard time.  She feels like when she was a faithful member of the
church she had more problems and that its better for her just to leave
the church alone.   She told us that she didn´t really think God loves
us and that she didn´t even know if he exists anymore.  We talked to
her about the plan of salvation and it was super hard at first because
she said that she´d just hopes that after this life that’s the end.
She didn´t really even want eternal life.  When she was telling us
this I offered a silent prayer that God would help me have the words
that would comfort her and help her.   I find myself bearing a
testimony about the atonement and all Christ did for us.  I felt the
spirit enter into her little room and even though she didn´t say
anything else I could see that for a moment she was truly reminded of
how much our God really does love us.  He loves us so much that he
sent his only son to suffer and die for us.  THis week I gained a new
perspective on the atonement when I asked this less active to think
about someone she knows and loves, suffering like the Savior did.  I
pictured my father suffering like that and felt overcome with a love
for the Savior.  There is no way to repay him.  All we can do is
accept his sacrifice and come unto him. That is all he asks of us.
Without Him the plan of salvation would include the spirit world,
life, and death.  There would be no eternal life. There would be no
eternal families.  But he lived and he still lives and because he
lives we have the opportunity to go, if we are obedient, right back
into the outstretched arms of our heavenly father. I am so grateful
for the Savior.  He  carried me this week and I am so grateful for the
opportunity to serve Him.
Hope you all have a great week!  Love ya guys!

Hermana Russelll

No comments:

Post a Comment